Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I ran away

As soon as I got home from work yesterday, Ashlyn runs up to me and proceeds to share the following information:

A - Mommy, I ran away from Mrs. Kim today.
M - You what?
A - Mrs. Kim was at the gate, and then Gabby ran away and I ran away, and Mrs. Kim said to stop but we ran away.
M - So do you mean you weren't listening? Did Mrs. Kim tell you to come back?
A - Uh - huh. But me and Gabby ran away.
M - Ashlyn, that is very bad. Do we run away from teachers?
A - No. I was a bad girl and then Gabby sat in time out and I sat in time out.
M - Ashlyn, not listening to your teachers is disrespectful and disobedient. What is that called when we disobey?
A - Sin.
M - That's right honey. Sin is a very bad thing. Do you know why?
A - It seperates us from God.
M - It does. And, there is always a price to pay when you sin. It is called a consequence. What did Mrs. Kim say to you when she caught you?
A - She said it was bad and I have to sit in time out.
M - Where were you when you ran away?
A - I had to sit in time out.
M - I mean, were you inside or outside when it happened?
A - I was at the gate.
M - On the playground? Outside?!
A - Yes. And then I ran away Mommy.

I will admit, I was astounded by her ability to articulate all that had occured, but horrified to think that she runs away from people and could get hurt, especially in a parking lot. I told her we would need to call her Daddy and find out what he thought we should do for her disobedience.

When Matt got home, she went through the whole story again.
Matt - Well Ashlyn, there are consequences for our sin. What do you think Mommy and Daddy should do?
M - Do you think we should spank or take something away?
A - You should take something away.
Matt - What things?
A - My baby dolls.
M - Anything else?
A - My blankies and my dog.
Matt - Okay. You need to go to your room, get those things and put them on Mommy's and Daddy's bed.
A - I won't run away again with Gabby.

I know this is not a funny post, but just a conversation that I don't want to forget. At least she was honest and didn't try to hide her sin from us.

No comments: